Overall Training Structure:
This two-day interactive workshop is designed to uncover and recover the inherent beauty, purity and dignity of your identity as created by God, and to experience confidence, responsibility and freedom through committed loving relationships with God and others. Through video, music, journaling, small and large group discussion, you are invited to deepen your own personal understanding of purity and God’s plan for a pure life as distinct from the drift that is so profound in our culture. Future First can be designed for either junior high, high school or college age youth.
The Workshop takes place over two days. Each full day begins at 9:00am and ends at 6:00pm. The second day there is a graduation for training grads, family, and friends to attend from 6 – 7pm.
FUTURE FIRST VIDEO
What you can expect from the Future First Workshop:
- discover your identity as created by God
- relating to responsibility for your own life and your impact
- increasing your confidence and furthering understanding of your own value
- standing firm in what the vision you have for your life apart from what society dictates
- giving and receiving honest feedback
- breaking through past performances and current circumstances
- being a more effective and powerful advocate for genuine community and authenticity with your areas of influence
- bridging the gap between vision and current reality
- discovering what kind of invitation you are in relationship
- growing in your generous listening skills
- the benefit of maintaining neutrality
- exploring the power of forgiveness
- getting clear on what it means to be a “stand” for others in your life
- getting clear on what your legacy is and how it is being lived in each interaction
- working with communicating honestly in a way that can make a difference with people
- exploring the prices others pay to be in relationship with you and the prices you are willing to pay to be in relationship with others
- exploring the conditions that are put on others and the conditions we put on ourselves
- exploring the power of commitment, promise, love and authentic communication has in shaping one’s life
Components of the Future First Workshop:
Ground Rules: The purpose of these rules is to help you and the group work together to accomplish your goals. On the first day, the Trainer will ask that you agree to several simple ground rules; things like being on time to the training etc…
Mini-Lectures: The Trainer or participants may offer points of view about different subjects. Whether you agree or disagree is your choice. Be willing to discuss and explore your perspective with others in the group. The value will be in getting clear about what you really do believe and testing out how you stand for what your believe. The Trainer will speak about things that relate to a Christian’s life of love and forgiveness. The main standard to measure our relationships with is “love your neighbor as yourself.” It is a starting place, a foundation for us to learn how to live and love other people.
Sharing: Sharing is voluntary. Sharing can happen one-on-one, in small groups or with the whole group. All during the training you will have a chance to know yourself better by sharing, talking about what you are thinking, what you are learning and hearing about your own and others’ experiences. Just like in life, participation equals value! The more that you participate the more value that you experience and the more you create for others.
Small Group Exercises: You will, at different times, meet with a group of about 4-6 other participants for casual discussions or specific relational exercises.
One-on-One Interaction: In order to make progress, you may be asked to answer a number of questions, tell a story, complete sentences or take on a particular body position (like standing up). You will have an opportunity to see new solutions for the problems and issues that you struggle with and to support the other participants to do the same. Sometimes teens find this an intense or emotional experience. Please be honest about your feelings at all times.
Listening: To increase your ability to listen carefully and to discover how well you listen occasionally the Trainer will request that you close your eyes.
Interaction with the Trainer: At times you may be talking directly with the Trainer. The Trainer will challenge you to look at your life in terms of personal responsibility, to consider what prices you and others pay for your decisions, to consider where you play the “victim” and where you take responsibility for your choices. You may feel challenged, anxious and uncomfortable when looking at your life and your choices from other perspectives or working with things that you are not used to addressing.
Music: Music is an important part of the training. The music is adapted to many preferences and styles and is always thematic. You are encouraged to listen to the words as well as the tune.
Homework: During the evening you will be asked to complete written homework. The homework is designed to prepare and support you for the next phase of the training. It will usually take at least 30-45 minutes to complete each time.
Challenge: During the training all parts of your being will be engaged and challenged: intellectually, emotionally, physically and spiritually. You may experience thoughts, feelings or sensations that are new or unique. This is an exciting learning experience that will include a high degree of personal challenge. Your participation is your choice. Think about the opportunity to confront your struggles, fears and limitations head-on and go for it!